Current Opportunity: Intellectual Property Lawyer
We specialize in representing direct clients, most of whom are in Canada and the United States, as opposed to foreign associate work. We practice in all areas of intellectual property and intellectual property litigation, including representing Canadian clients before the United States Patent and Trademark Office in patent, trademark and design patent matters.
The position will provide the successful candidate with a great opportunity to accelerate their professional growth through direct client contact, the opportunity to sell legal services, and involvement in the firm's marketing and operations.
The ideal candidate is an intellectual property lawyer with 3 to 8 years of experience in patent prosecution and trademark prosecution. Qualification as a registered patent agent and/or registered trademark agent is an asset.
Depending on your skills and experience, your responsibilities might include:
- Preparing and filing Canadian and United States trademark applications
- Reporting and responding to examiner's reports in trademark applications before CIPO and the USPTO
- Preparing trademark clearance and registrability opinions
- Preparing provisional and non-provisional patent applications in a variety of technology areas (although a significant portion of our patent work is originating work involving computer-related technologies before the United States Patent and Trademark Office)
- Reporting and responding to office actions in patent applications before the USPTO and CIPO
- Preparing patentability assessments and conducting patent searches
- Preparing intellectual property agreements such as assignments and licenses
- Conducting in-person and phone consultations regarding intellectual property issues
- Supervising more junior associates and staff
- Taking phone calls and responding to emails from potential new clients
- Involvement in the firm's marketing activities and operations
Compensation includes a base salary reviewed quarterly and a quarterly bonus, both of which are based on financial performance and contribution to firm-building activities.
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter and academic transcripts in confidence to Christopher Heer at [email protected].
Hiring ContactChristopher Heer
Email: [email protected]